Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Am a Benefactor of OPPORTUNITY

I am a benefactor of OPPORTUNITY. I am a benefactor of Title IX. The legislation was passed to create OPPORTUNITY in education. Athletics is an integral part of education; therefore, OPPORTUNITY has defined the evolution of sport as well. 

Because of Title IX I had the OPPORTUNITY to attend any institution of my choice and pursue the curriculum that most interested me regardless of my gender. I attended a private, catholic college that was originally founded as a all-men's institution created to create male leaders for priesthood and a handful of other male only professions. Because of the progress made in higher education, I had the OPPORTUNITY to attend Carroll College. I chose to major in business and sports management. I had the OPPORTUNITY to chose two college majors that would have never been options for females if it weren't for Title IX. The progress created by the legislation also meant I had the OPPORTUNITY to gain hands-on experience as an intern in athletics administration and financial aid. In addition, I had the OPPORTUNITY to serve on an athletics fundraising board with prominent local businessmen and businesswomen. I would not have been on a member of the fundraising board with those individuals if it was not for Title IX. 

When I completed my bachelor's I was not faced with the option of choosing a career 'suitable for a woman' or becoming a housewife. I was fortunate to have the OPPORTUNITY to attend graduate school. Likewise, I was fortunate to have the OPPORTUNITY to chose a master's curriculum that interested me regardless of my gender. I selected a program designed to develop leaders in college athletics administration focused on functioning within a higher education institution. I had the OPPORTUNITY to complete a degree in Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership; a degree that would not have been available to women (or anyone for that matter) if it were not for Title IX. Upon completion of my master's, I was again not forced to focus on what options were not available because of my gender. My options were focused on possibilities. 

Because of Title IX, I have the OPPORTUNITY to pursue a career in higher education. 

Because of Title IX, I have the OPPORTUNITY to pursue a career in athletics. 

Because of Title IX, I have the OPPORTUNITY to pursue a career in in administration.

My reality and my possibilities have been defined by Title IX. I am blessed with the OPPORTUNITY to have a career within college athletics.

My profession allows me to see countless people reap the benefits of Title IX daily. I work for an organization, a higher education institution, that encourages men and women to pursue an education in the major of their choice regardless of their gender. These students are provided an OPPORTUNITY for education. Because they are pursuing an education, those men and women are provide the OPPORTUNITY to be student-athletes, student government leaders, campus leaders and members of student organizations regardless of their gender. As we serve these students, I work with men and women in varying administration and staff positions. We are provided equal OPPORTUNITY for employment because we had the OPPORTUNITY for education and experience regardless of gender.
All of our realities and possibilities have been defined by Title IX and OPPORTUNITY. 

My hope is that everyone continues to honor and recognize the essence and purpose of the 40 year old legislation. Let us not celebrate only women's presence in higher education. Let us not celebrate only women's presence in athletics. Let us continue to celebrate OPPORTUNITY in education and athletics for everyone regardless of gender.
"Title IX was about education, opportunity and equal rights." ... "In athletics, because we’re the most visible, we set the tone. You have to see it to be it. And when there’s equality with women’s sports, and opportunities, it helps permeate everything else." ~Billie Jean King 
"Title IX is simply saying we want all kids — boys and girls — to have the same opportunities, whether that’s in high school or college, to be educated." ~Angela Ruggiero 
Take the OPPORTUNITY to read literature, watch media and ask questions to educate yourself on the benefits of Title IX. Here's a start...
"As Title IX turns 40, women and men tell of opportunity, acceptance, intangible benefits" article from Washington Post with quote 
"Sporting Chance" Trailer
A lot of good messages about the evolution of OPPORTUNITY in education and athletics.

No comments:

Post a Comment