Friday, November 30, 2012

Make a passionate impact... for a reason.

I was on a roll today. Or, should I say, 'I was in the role.' Sometimes I go several days without talking to my professional friends about anything work related. Today, not one of those days. I had several conversations with my peers. I listened. I tried to be positive, reassuring and uplifting. I was on a roll twice. One day. Two themes. 

***
PASSIONATE IMPACT
[A peer's co-worker told them that they and others are not influential in students' lives. That they do not have an impact. My reply is below.]

You have a profound impact on all the student-athletes you interact with. The fact is that you are in a position that positive or negative (99.9% of the time positive), you have lifelong impacts onthe students you work with. You are in an intentional position; a position that demands you ahve an impact like NO other people. That's why you're at what you do... you are passionate about having an impact!

Fact of the matter is that this applies to all my peers. To all those working in student-athlete services and student-athlete development. Let's not forget it also applies to those working in any type of student-centered services or development capacity.

***
FOR A REASON
[A peer's co-worker encouraged them to do something totally contradictory to what is preached and encouraged every single day. My frank, honest reply is below.]

A)  Student Services exists... for a reason
B)  Students are encouraged to utilize Student Services... for a reason
C)  Students' success can be maximized by using Student Services... for a reason
D)  Our jobs are to promote decisions [like using Student Services] that support student success... for a reason
E)  Did I fail to mention, it is called "STUDENT [pause] SERVICES"...  for a reason
F)  We work in Student Services... for a reason

For a reason?! We work in a service profession. And, by definition, we work in a student service profession. The title doesn't get any simpler. It doesn't require analysis to understand the purpose of indivdual's jobs in student-centered service or development positions. We work in the profession because we're passionate. Passionate about serving others. Passionate about student/student-athlete development. Passionate about maximizing student success. 

***
Summary: Make a passionate impact... for a reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment