Monday, April 15, 2013

#Subtweet Struggles

One of my greatest struggles is taking my own advice. On a regular basis I offer up all sorts of 'words of wisdom' to those I interact with daily. Over and over again, I tell people: have confidence in yourself; stand up for yourself; be open and honest with others; make your actions align with your values; and don't put yourself in a situation where you're undervalued. All to often I also say, "Take your own advice."

What do I fail to do?! Take my own advice. I let others make comments that discredit the time and work I have out forth. I put others, their needs and their self-value before myself. I all to frequently don't stand up for myself and lack confidence in my abilities. I choose not to be honest, because of fear. I fear my honesty will hurt someone else's feelings rather than only me being brought down. I allow myself be undervalued by others comments.

And, let's be real, if I cannot verbalize that which is really upsetting me, I sure as heck will not write it. Putting it in writing would make it real. I would have to deal with it. I would have to face the truth and confront the problem. That's too hard. Too many feelings would be hurt. Instead, I'll say a prayer and hope I don't crack under pressure.

1 comment:

  1. That last line Amber Rae. Brilliance. Writing makes everything real. Real and scary. But at the same time, putting something onto paper also makes it controllable. And quite frankly, you can rip it up if you want, which is awesome sometimes.

    Write a poem, then burn it. You'll never believe how liberated you feel. Or write a poem and then read it, and you'll never believe how liberated you feel. But I guess I'm kinda bias :)

    ReplyDelete